Home additions are a big investment, both in time and money, so it’s important to understand your needs or wants for additional space. Whether you’ve run out of room in your current home in the western suburbs of Chicago or you’d like more fun space for your family to be together, Meeder Design & Remodeling can help with your home addition ideas.
Home Addition Experts
Our design and construction teams specialize in home addition plans in Westmont and the surrounding cities, and we’re happy to help walk you through the process of adding on another room, adding a second story, or expanding and reconfiguring an existing space.
If you know you want more room but aren’t entirely sure of what you’d like to do, we can help. These are some of the most popular, functional, and/or fun home addition ideas we’ve come across throughout the years.
Home Addition Ideas
1. Create a Master Suite: Depending on the current structure of your home, you might find that you’re quickly running out of bedroom space. Perhaps you family is growing of you have a lot of visitors come and stay. In any case, this might be the perfect time to create an oasis for yourself. A master suite involves adding on a bedroom and bathroom, as well as a walk-in closet if you’re interested. Not only will this provide sufficient sleeping areas, but it also creates a private spot where you can relax and unwind, and you can ensure that the bedroom and bathroom design are exactly what you want.
2. Add a Second Story: If you currently live in a ranch-style house, having everyone on one floor might not be the ideal living situation. With a second story addition to your home, you create a separation between living spaces and sleeping spaces. It also gives you the opportunity to provide bigger bedrooms for your family, and you can add an additional bathroom for convenience. If you don’t mind having bedrooms on the first floor, the second story can also be a great place for an office, kids’ playroom, extra living room, or an in-law suite.
3. Expand Your Kitchen: The kitchen is the heart of the home, and the place where everyone likes to gather. If your kitchen is small, it can feel cramped during family get togethers of friendly hang outs. If you’re agreeing with these statements, a kitchen expansion could be a good home addition for you. Not only will you have more room to entertain, but it also gives you additional for meal prep, cooking, and storage.
4. Add a Garage: In Illinois cities like Oak Brook and Willow Springs, the cold weather and harsh winters can make getting in and out your car a pain. If you’ve been living without a space for your vehicles, and you’re tired of scraping snow and ice, consider adding a garage. Depending on your needs, you can add one, two, three, or even four spots, if you’ve got the room. This can be attached or detached. A garage addition keeps your car protected from the elements, and it offers more storage space for vehicle and outdoor equipment.
5. Add or Expand a Bonus Room: Spending time with loved ones is important to all of us, and it’s always nice to be able to entertain at home. If your living room is not currently conducive to hosting larger groups, you can choose to add a bonus room or expand your current one. Bonus rooms are great because they’re really a blank slate. You could create a second, more open living space, make it a game room, or install seating and a projector for an in-home movie room. Whatever you decide to do, a bonus room can be a fun place for quality time with friends and family, and our home designers can help you turn your ideas into a home addition plan.
6. Create a Sunroom: There’s no doubt that enjoying the sunshine can boost your mood and give you more energy. If you’re a sun worshipper, adding a sunroom to your home makes sense. Sunrooms offer tons of natural light through large windows surrounding the space. You can put a bistro set in here to enjoy your morning coffee, or you can add a comfy couch or chaise lounge to make the perfect reading spot.
Ready to Make Your Home Addition Plans?
Contact us to learn more about our remodeling services and get a free estimate on your home addition plans. We’re a one-stop shop, so we work with you through every phase of your project to keep things on time and on budget.